Thursday, September 10, 2026

DIY Vintage Masculine Birthday Tags/Layered Mixed Media

 Welcome back!!
In today's step-by-step tutorial, we're creating two detailed, vintage steampunk-inspired "Happy Birthday" gift tags using the 2026 September Mixed Media Kit. There are wide variety of techniques you will learn in this step-by-step tutorial, how to build a textured background as well as layering embellishments to create a 3D look to your tags or cards, and how to add industrial elements that are found inside the Mixed Media Kit.


TAG #1
First take one of the chipboard tags and cover the top using black gesso. 


Next use the multi matte medium on the cogs below, wait til it becomes a bit tacky and then cover with the foil leaf from the Mixed Media Kit.
***View Video Tutorial for More Details***


Next place on black Texture Paste on the right side and making it a little thick. You want it thick enough to imprint the bottom cap top in the paste.
***View Video Tutorial for More Details***


Next take one of the bottle caps and press it into the paste.
***View Video Tutorial for More Details***


Next get some pattern paper from the Scrapbook Kit, tearing it so it will lay down beside the paste and adhere it down. I did ink my edges using walnut stain distress ink. I then mixed a bit of water with the perfect pearls in one of the little spritz bottles from the Mixed Media Kit and sprayed the paste area as well as the papered area. Then you can start decorating.
***View Video Tutorial for More Details***



TAG #2
For our second tag paper the front.

Next get versa mark pad and spread over the chipboard cogs and edges of the tag and then brush on the one of the colors of perfect pearls all over where the versa mark is placed.


Next add some glue and water over a stencil of your choice and brush the mixture onto the tag.
My mixture dried a bit before I could lay on the foil, so I opted to place the glue on top on top of the water areas (see photo below)
***View Video tutorial ***

Here is where I added some of my glue and then I waited for it to become a bit tacky before laying down the foil leaf.

Next lay down the foil leaf, press it down and wait for a minute and then gently brush with fingers so it will flake off or use a paint brush.
**View Video for more details***


Here is the finished look I received. Now you can start decorating.



Here are the finished tags. I really like how these turned out. Super fantastic to place on a Father's Day gift, birthday gift for Dad, Grandpa or Uncle. 
For layering and other techniques used please view the video tutorial.


I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial, as we created these beautiful masculine vintage tags using the 2026 Sept. Mixed Media Kit. I enjoyed sharing some great techniques you can use on other craft projects and sharing how to incorporate foil leafing sheets to your crafts.  
For more details on this and all project you can always view the video tutorial process, which is at the top of the page. 
Thanks again for joining me, I have all the links listed for you throughout the post so just click on the words and you will be taken directly to the store. 

Until next time, keep curating those beautiful memories. ~Deb



Please stop by our Facebook page to see what new items our design team has created using our monthly kits.
You can always post your projects on Tres Jolie FB page - Tres Jolie Club Cafe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment